Landing page experience refers to how good we think someone's experience will be when they get to your landing page (the webpage they end up on after clicking your ad). You can improve your landing page experience by:
- providing relevant, useful, and original content,
- promoting transparency and fostering trustworthiness on your site (for example, by explaining your products or services before asking visitors to fill out forms sharing their own information),
- making it easy for customers to navigate your site (including on mobile sites), and
- encouraging customers to spend time on your site (for example, by making sure your page loads quickly so people who click your ad don’t give up and leave your site prematurely).
Your landing page experience affects not only your Quality Score, but also your Ad Rank and advertising costs.
Why landing page experience matters
Landing pages are kind of like cars – make sure they're tuned-up properly, and you'll likely get better performance and savings out of them down the road. Get more mileage out of your landing page by making it easier for visitors to make a purchase, sign up for a newsletter, or do other things you want them to do on your website.
Improving your landing page experience
We use a combination of automated systems and human evaluation to determine landing page experience on your site. Your ads may show less often (or not at all) if they point to websites that offer a poor user experience. If you're trying to improve your landing page experience, it might be time to give your landing pages a tune-up. Try reviewing the general guidelines below to help you think of ways to improve your landing page experience and get better performance out of your landing pages down the road.
- Relevant, useful and original content
- Make sure your landing page is directly relevant to your ad text and keyword.
- Provide useful information on your landing page about whatever you're advertising.
- Try to offer useful features or content that are unique to your site.
- Transparency and trustworthiness
- Make it easy for visitors to find your contact information.
- If you request personal information from customers, make it clear why you're asking for it and what you'll do with it.
- Distinguish sponsored links, like ads, from the rest of your site content.
- Openly share information about your business and clearly state what your business does.
- Ease of navigation
- Don't make people hunt around for the information they might need.
- Make it quick and easy for people to order the product mentioned in your ad.
- Don’t annoy customers with pop-ups or other features that interfere with their navigation on your site.
- Make sure people can easily find information to learn more about the advertised product.
The AdWords system visits and evaluates landing pages on a regular basis. If you've made significant changes to improve your landing page experience, it could lead to higher ad quality (and higher Ad Rank) over time. You might not see an immediate impact, but you may see results within days or weeks.
Your landing page loading time
If it takes too long for your website to load when someone clicks on your ad, they're more likely to give up and leave your website. This unwelcome behavior can signal to Google that your landing page experience is poor, which could negatively impact your Ad Rank. That's why you want to make sure your landing page load time is up to speed.Here are a few tips to help improve your load time:
- Make sure your landing page loads quickly once someone clicks on your ad, whether on a desktop or mobile device.
- Help customers quickly find what they’re looking for by prioritizing the content that's visible above-the-fold.
- Learn how you or your webmaster can use